Frequently Asked Questions

Q1 When is the admission and graduation time ?

Admission months are in April, July and October, graduation time is in March two years later.
January admission is also available under the condition of passing JLPT-N3, and its graduation time is in March of the next year.

Q2 I have already passed JLPT-N2 (N3). Can I shorten the course period?

In case of April enrollment, those who have already passed JLPT-N3 and passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (equivalent to N3) of UIEC can transfer to Intermediate-2 class, its course period is one year.
In case of July enrollment, those who have already passed JLPT-N2 and passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (equivalent to N2) of UIEC can transfer to the second half of Intermediate-2, its course period is 9 months.
Note : In case of going on the undergraduate course, your preferred univ would be decided according to EJU result, and some graduate schools have already started the application procedures. Beware of the time to prepare for admission is limited.
90.7% of national universities and 55.6% of private universities refer to EJU scores. If you don’t have EJU score, options of university decrease.

Q3 I have already started to study Japanese, do I need to study from the beginner level?

In case of the enrollment in July and October, those who have already completed the first half of beginner-1 level can attend to the beginner-2 class under the condition of passing the beginner-1 test of UIEC.
Those who have already obtained JLPT-N4 and enrolled in October can attend to beginner-intermediate class under the condition of passing test (equivalent to N4) of UIEC.

Q4 I would like to go on to a national university. How much EJU scores do I need?

The elective subjects of EJU differ between the humanities (humanities and social sciences) and the sciences (natural sciences).
Generally, those who wish to study humanities and social sciences fields need to choose Japanese language, mathematics-1, and subjects of geography and history that is called as Sougou-kamoku.
In case of natural science field, Japanese, mathematics-2 and science (2 subjects selected from physics, chemistry and biology) are needed.
Depending on the level of difficulty of the university, at least 70% scores are needed for each subject if you aim for a national or public university.

Q5 Is the English evaluation test such as TOEFL necessary for admission of higher education institutions?

In some cases, score of English Proficiency Test (TOEFL / TOEIC) must be submitted in the application procedures of undergraduate course or master’s degree course.
TOEFL is held 2 or 3 times a month, and TOEIC is held about 10 times a year, UIEC supports applications of exam.
Some universities and graduate schools do not require English proficiency test. UIEC offers the personal counseling according to each student’s situation.

Q6 Let me know the application procedure of the master's course.

At first, need to find out a professor who matches your desired research theme, and you may need the consent from a professor for the application.
Generally, “Preparation of research plan / Preparation of language requirements*1 ⇨ Professor survey ⇨ Contact to professor*2 ⇨ Visit to graduate school*2 ⇨ Get consent to apply *2 ⇨ Application ⇨ Exam / Oral exam.
At the time of the application procedure or in the oral exam, you may also be asked about your graduation thesis details.
*2 may not be necessary

Q7 Does UIEC have dormitories?

Dormitories are available within walking distance from UIEC.
The dormitory is 1K or 2DK. ⇨ See Dormitory

Q8 Are there any extracurricular activities?

There are 3 or 4 extracurricular activities in a year, such as day trip, arts festival and visiting to the disaster prevention center.
Extracurricular activity fee is not included in the tuition fees, but it will be borne by the school except for some transportation costs.

Q9 What does UIEC explain in the guidance at the time of admission?

At the time of admission, we will carry out a test (placement test) that measures your Japanese proficiency level, and the guidance .
We explain the following at the guidance.

  • School rules, Classroom rules, Attendance management, Annual schedule, Evaluation of learning, Scholarships, Graduation requirements, Disciplinary actions
  • Renewal of status of residence, Activity other than that permitted under the status of residence, Residence card, Notification of moving in and out, National health insurance, Accident insurance
  • Dormitory rules, Lifestyle habits and general manners, Traffic rules, About the crime that international students could get involved

With the cooperation of the Saitama Prefectural Police, they may explain traffic rules and give lectures to prevent you from being involved in crime.

Q10 Does UIEC introduce a part-time job?

We support the search for part-time jobs according to the rules of activities outside of qualification.